I'm a former runner turned walker, and in my opinion, walking is the perfect exercise. Here are 10 reasons why I hope you'll fall in love with walking too:
10. Walking has been shown to boost your immune system, open up your circulation, and improve digestion, all of which play a role in preventing cancer.
9. Regular walks boost bone density, and protect against the loss of bone tissue as you age.
8. Walking lowers blood pressure, "bad" or lousy LDL cholesterol, and blood sugar levels.
7. Walking is versatile - you can walk alone, with your family, your dog, or with a friend.
6. All it takes is a good pair of shoes – no gym membership or special equipment needed.
5. You already know how. It's second nature - after all, you've been doing it since you were about one year old!
4. Walking improves mental and physical stamina. Instead of draining you, a brisk walk can actually help your energy level soar and boost your productivity.
3. A single walk can transform your body image. Research shows that all forms of exercise improve personal body satisfaction, even without weight loss. That means in one 30 minute walk, you can return home feeling entirely different in your own skin.
2. Research shows that when the same distance is covered, walking is just as effective as running for both health and weight control. In a Duke University study, runners and walkers lost nearly identical amounts of body weight, body fat, and belly fat.
1. It just feels good before, during, and after! Walking helps reduce stress, lessen feelings of depression and anxiety, improve sleep quality, and boost overall mood. Now that's powerful.
I love walking so much I devoted an entire chapter to it in S.A.S.S! Yourself Slim: Conquer Cravings Drop Pounds and Lose Inches. Check it out to learn more about four other unique benefits, which are the reasons I'd walk even if there were zero health benefits, and walking didn't burn a single calorie.